After a day of data transfer, I was happy to format my disc and install the new 9.04 Ubuntu desktop version on my Acer Aspire 4720Z. I wanted to install XP as well as Ubuntu. No one can do withouth Windows, isn't it?
In order to successfully install both the systems with dual booting, I recommend you to install Windows first. There are problems with partitioning if windows is installed later. Once your disk is completely clear and ready to be formatted, you can start installing Windows. I installed XP Professional since I have a personal grudge with Vista. While installing Windows XP, I decided to create a seperate partition for Ubuntu of 15 GB. This included the Swap partition as well (explained later).
Once you have installed Windows, restart the pc with the Ubuntu CD inserted in the disc. Also remember to intitialize the DVD/CD ROM/RAM as the primary boot from the boot menu. Click on the install Ubuntu. This will initialize the basic wizard for installation. The first few steps are pretty simple and self explanatory. When you reach the partition menu, click on the advanced partition method, the last option. Since, I had left a 15GB partition free for Ubuntu installation, I selected that and clicked on 'Edit Partition'. I changed it to 13GB and selected the '\' root folder where Ubuntu would be installed. The remaining 2GB, I kept it as the Swap partition. Ubuntu will not proceed unless you select this. Installing Ubuntu in a seperate partition WILL prompt a menu while the PC boots. There you can select which OS you want to start.
That's it. Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment