Thursday, 17 September 2009

London - Day 1

10:00, I was awake and excited to move to the largest city in UK. I was more excited about the new life that I was going to live. A fresh set of responsibilities and objectives. I had to be on the move, all the time with the right decisions with minimal support and guidance. The first thought of it made me thirsty, yes, I was sweating. The bus was at 20:30 and I had to vacate St. Andrews by noon. I was all set and met the remaining friends for the last time. They wished me luck, as all do, the usual. Yes, facebook is always there to stay connected.

Two suitcases, weighing approximately around 25 Kg each with a handbag was tremendously difficult to handle. A typical Indian, they say. I know, around 10 Kg of it was untouched for an year. I was on the bus finally with all the dragging and lifting. The bus to London departed form Dundee, a half an hour journey from St. Andrews. I reached the bus station at 16:30, a ridiculous 4 hour gap, of which I was aware of. I didn't want to rely staying at a friend's place during that time. The Perry Mason book came in real handy at that moment. As I was swiftly flipping those crisp new pages at a maintained speed, someone tapped me on my head. What are the odds, I met Vijay, the economic friend of mine (He studied Economics, haha). The irony is, he had just been from a economic journey that was sponsored by a third person :). Anyways, we kept chatting about the usual, "What about Jobs?". This question had been the MOST popular question, at the tip of everyone's tongue. The capitals of the word most, signifies the vastness and madness behind that question, much popular than any celebrity. The bus departed at 20:28, showing the punctuality of the Brits. It was one hell of a journey with my coccyx completely displaced and my neck sprained. I am 6'2" and the leg space always seizes not to fit me. I continued the Perry Mason story and slowly was asleep.

06:30 - I had a look at London. The richness showed; all I saw were Maseratis and Bentlys parked in front of lavishly styled buildings. The bus passed through Piccadilly circus, the central part of London, Zone 1. Foreigners cannot even think of affording any sort of property there. A maddening price of around 500£ a week for renting a house. Read that again, a WEEK. My friend, Ashish, stayed in Zone 4, Hounslow. It is called the 'little India'. I finally reached his place as he welcomed me to his home. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment