The day started at 07:00. Uncle called on my friend's mobile and told us he was coming to pick us up. I was still in bed covered myself with the blanket as if I were in the North Pole. Get up, uncle is on his way, he said to me banging into my room. The words just penetrated into my head somehow even as I was barely conscious. I wondered why didn't the alarm ring. Maybe I turned it off in my sleep. So, carrying my athletic body out of the bed was quite tiring. I swept my feet till the bathroom and splashed some cold water in my face. I didn't want to splash cold water, it was just that the boiler doesn't boil the water too fast. I managed to brush and wash my face in half sleep. I had just had a bath the night before so I still felt clean. I chose to wear a T-shirt and formal pants. That sounds ridiculous now, but I didn't bother to think about it when I wore it. Ofcourse, I covered myself with a sweater and knee long coat. The t-shirt didn't show at all. Plus, I don't bother thinking about my fashion, ladies do that but yes I always think about the fashion while buying the clothes, so saves me time thinking about it while wearing it. The black formal shoes goes well with my quadroy pants so I wore those. My friend kept moving around the house in a hurry. He had got up half an hour before me and I had completed wearing my shoes and he was wearing his pants. The 2nd call rang, this meant Uncle was downstairs. We live on the 2nd floor of the building. Just as we came out of the main door, the pathetic cold wind hit my face. It was -3. I jogged towards the exit of the building which directly opened to the car park. I saw the Merc waiting and a heavy body very still on the driving seat, that was uncle. I love the Merc, right from its embedded emblem on its bonnet to its exhaust tip and everything between it. I was ahead of my friend, so I opened the door. It was a two seater so one has to lean the front seat to enter the rear seating space. I sat behind and my friend entered after me, ahead. He shut the door before even taking his breath, it was that cold and then exhaled as soon as he shut it.
Good morning.
Good morning uncle.
Good morning uncle.
It echoed thrice.
Its -3, can you believe that?, said Uncle. It was quite sunny the day before and even the BBC failed to predict the temperature. Not that I saw the news early in the morning but BBC usually fails in predicting the UK weather forecast. We headed towards Mr. Aleem's residence.
After a 20 minute quiet drive, we reached there. London is a city where people have to bother about parking only because they cannot afford to pay the fine. After halting the car and circling his head three times, he found a place to park and then slowly placed the car between the painted lines. It was right in front of Mr. Aleem's house. We all turned towards the residence's main door, waiting for him to walk out. He didn't, so Uncle gave him a call and no one picked up. After a min, Mr. Aleem's younger brother called back,
We are coming in a minute. Did you manage to park you car?
Yes, We are waiting, uncle said and hung up.
Aleem's brother walked out of the house and spotted our car and walked towards it. We started getting out of the car.
Aleem is coming, said his brother, broadcasting to us. Uncle and he shook hands and smiled.
After a minute, Mr. Aleem walked out and shut his main door locking it. We started walking towards his car.
Good morning, said uncle to Aleem and again smiled.
All ready? Let's move then. were Aleem's first words.
Aleem is a 64 year old man and weak and it took some time to enter his car. It was a Land Rover which has quite big a clearance from the the ground and thus, seated high. My friend, Uncle and took the rear seats while his brother, the front. They put their seatbelts on, the engine ignited and the car picked up as if it were running on Petrol. The journey had just begun.
Eventhough he is 64, he drove like a 30 year old and handled the SUV quite well. One could not say it was a 5 year old car, it looked brand new without the seat covers. We had reached the motor way and the sun rays kept us warm as it entered the transparent window glasses. For 08:00 in the morning, the traffic was decent.
Aleem hit the accelerator harder as we reached the 6 lane road. I never thought Land Rovers, being that heavy a car and running on diesel would react to the accelerator that fast, I was amazed. I was on the left side of the rear seat and started gazing the nature around the motorway. Aleem, his brother and Uncle started talking, but that didn't distract me from thinking and appreciating the nature. I hadn't even opened my mouth apart from yawing 15 times throughout the journey.
We were headed to Birmingham, its 2 hours by car from London.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment